If you suffer from allergies or asthma, we know your pain. It’s never a nice thing, and every season seems to have something that makes it flare up again.
Even vacuuming your house can seem like an impossible task because of the allergens that get thrown back into the air, but all is not lost, and I am here to tell you why. You might be suffering, but that doesn’t mean you need to have a home that is filled with allergens to constantly set you off.
Instead, a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter can trap them all and leave you breathing easy and enjoying your home a whole lot more. They provide cleaner air that is free from all those pesky irritants, so you might even find that you need your pills less.
With so many vacuums on the market, it can be hard to know what to look for, but that’s where I come in. In this guide, we take a look at the best HEPA vacuum cleaners, as well as collect the relevant HEPA vacuum cleaner reviews so that we can help you to find one that is perfect for you.
Best HEPA Vacuum (UK Models)
1. SEBO X5 Automatic
Our Pick for Asthma Sufferers
- Includes a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty (parts and labor)
- Superior filtration system
- Onboard 1,100 watt motor
- Integrated with a computer control system for better performance
- Operational noise level – 81 decibels
- Automatic shutoff feature, in case of blockages
- Equipped with a 10 meter long electrical cable
- Belts are embedded with reinforcement to offer longevity
- Manufactured in Germany
- Electrical cable is a little thinner than most models
The SEBO X5 has a very powerful onboard motor, which is capable of producing up to 1,100 watts of power. This feature alone ensures continuous suctioning without bogging down, even when vacuuming the extremely thick carpet.
The S-Class filtration system is superior since it will suction up and capture micro-particle dust, leaving your carpet fresh and clean. The floor head measures 37 centimetres in length, so it will clean a very wide path, decreasing your cleaning time by half.
Also, the floor head is designed to offer edge-to-edge cleaning, which means that it will vacuum up everything it glides over. The extension wand is integrated into the machine, where it will always be within the user’s reach.
Overall, the SEBO Automatic X5 is a very powerful vacuum that will tackle the dirtiest carpet, without issue. It comes with a crevice and upholstery tool, which will come in handy when tackling furniture and stairs.
2. Neato Robotics Botvac D85
Best Robot Vac For Allergens
- Efficient and eco-friendly
- Schedule automatic cleanings with ease
- Eliminates more pet hair than other robotic vacuums
- D-Shape and Corner Clever feature gives vacuum the ability to clean tight corners
- SpinFlow Power Clean always leaves the floors shiny and clean
- Available in two colors
- Fairly expensive
If you’re an allergy sufferers, who is looking for total convenience, you’ll definitely want to invest in a robotic vacuum.
This is where the Neato Robotics Botvac D85 will enter the picture. The vacuum is absolutely perfect in this category and is capable of holding .7 litre of debris.
This guarantees that you can allow the robot to do its job for many hours before you’ll need to empty the dustbin.
Another amazing feature of the Neato is the fact that it is designed to target all types of hair. When compared to other robotic vacuums, the Neato is much more efficient for targeting pet hair.
Of course, it also targets human hairs and utilizes a highly intelligent SpinFlow Power Clean technology to deliver immaculately clean floors. The vacuum also utilized a high-tech navigation system, which guarantees it’ll never run off of your stairs or crash into your walls.
Most robot vacuums trip up at least once or twice when being tested out with all the obstacles in the way such as; tables and chairs, cables and floor lamps. This Neato? It passed with flying colours and returned to its charging base without trouble bumping into nothing, every single time.
Although some will not be willing to spend so much on a vacuum, many wills. Those that do will be able to live in luxury and with diminished allergies thanks to the Neato Robotics Botvac. Read our “Best Robot Vacuum” guide here.
Q: The instruction book says you should run the battery right down when it is new. How do you do that if the vac returns to the charger when it is low?
A: Dont set it off from the charger, place in a different part of the room. It will return to where it started and not the charger.
Q: How much clearing away do you do before you let your companion loose. Chairs, tables, thin rugs, the cat ??
A: Neato makes its way around most objects with ease.
3. Dyson DC75 Cinetic Big Ball
Best Upright For Allergies
- 5-year guarantee
- Whole-machine filtration ensures expelled air is clean and allergen free
- Dust bin emptying is effortless and hygienic
- Tangle-free Turbine Tool is perfect for removing pet hairs
- Ball Technology ensures the vacuum will glide easily throughout your home
- Delivers 15.25m of reach, which should be sufficient for almost everyone
- Self-adjusting cleaner head ensures sufficient suctioning power for carpets and hard floors
- Slightly expensive
- Dust bin could be a little bigger
Upright vacuums are very convenient and can be utilized to vacuum a large amount of space, within a short period of time.
If you’re looking for a brilliant upright vacuum, which is absolutely perfect for allergy sufferers, you should look no further than the Dyson DC75.
The vacuum is incredibly convenient since it comes with no hepa filters, which need to be washed or replaced. This also helps to prevent clogging and loss of suctioning power with repeated use.
The vacuum utilizes the incredibly popular Dyson Ball, which makes the vacuum effortless to steer throughout your home.
The vacuum is equipped with a great trash bin. The bin emptying process is hygienic. Simply remove the bin and press the button to remove the dirt.
With the whole-machine filtration system, this vacuum released clean air back into the environment. For added peace of mind, the vacuum is covered by a 5-year guarantee on parts and labour!
If you’re looking for an excellent upright, which will help you overcome your allergies, you cannot lose with the Dyson DC75. It is effortless to use and utilizes a whole-machine filtration system, which guarantees your home’s climate remains dust and allergen-free.
4. Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog
Great Cylinder Vac for Allergens
- Brilliant at removing pet hair from carpet and upholstery
- Suitable for cleaning multiple floor surfaces
- Operational noise level – 75 decibels
- Energy efficient model (27.7 KW/HR/YR)
- Lightweight design (5 kilograms)
- Comes with 3 cleaning floor heads (EcoTeq, TurboBrush, Standard)
- Allergen hepa filter works well
- Full-bag indicator feature does not work all the time
- Not great at collecting large chunks of debris
The Miele Complete C3 is designed for consumers that own felines and K-9s. This is a canister vacuum that has a floor head with a powerful Turbobrush, which will capture pet hair, keeping it away from the motor and interior components.
This feature alone will ensure the longevity of the machine. The powerful onboard motor is capable of producing 1,200 watts of continuous power.
The Miele C3 comes with 3 different floor heads, so you can customize the perfect height to clean your carpet, tile, and hardwood flooring.
With an operating radius of 11 meters, you will be able to glide the floor head around furniture and tight corners with ease.
This is a bagged vacuum, which utilizes a thick GN Hyclean dust bag. This bag will retain, even the smallest dust particle and prevent it from being released back into the environment.
Overall, the Miele Complete C3 is an extraordinary vacuum with solid construction. The three-floor heads allow the homeowner to customize to suit their needs and this is not something that is offered with other brands. Read our full review of different Miele Cat & Dog Vacuum here.
When testing the Miele vacuum I was surprised how well the standard floorhead removes animal fur from carpets, but the turbo brush is even better, so you’ll have no problems clearing up after your pets.
5. Dyson V6 Absolute
Best Lightweight HEPA Vacuum
- Power: 100 watts
- Run Time: 20 mins
- Charge Time: 3 hours
- Weight: 4kg
- Dust Capacity: 0.4L
- Battery Voltage: 21.6v
- Noise: 87db
For many, the filtration system is the most important aspect, and Dyson is one of the best for an excellent and well-researched filter.
If this is what you are looking for, take some time to read the reviews below and see if this is going to be the right vacuum for you.
The Dyson V6 Absolute uses a hepa filter, which is hospital grade and one of the best you can get. As someone who lives with an asthma and allergy sufferers, having a bagless vacuum cleaner that can ensure that there are no allergens left is important to me.
The way in which this hepa filter works is that 99.9% of allergens are trapped in the filter and unable to escape, but they are also not pushed back into the air. This means that the air is more breathable and cleaner, which is great for those who need those allergens to be removed from the air.
It’s a really efficient system and one that ensures there are no reactions. The suction is excellent, and you can rest assured that there will be no loss as the machine becomes full, which is great for those who want to really work it until the last of the battery life.
The Not So Good
The dust canister is a little small, and it can be fiddly to empty once it becomes full.
This cordless vacuum cleaner from Dyson promises superb results that you are certainly going to be very pleased with. While the dust canister can be a little tricky to empty, once you get there and have the hang of it, it will go smoother in the future.
Despite this, it still makes for a great vacuum cleaner that promises to deliver what you want and when you want it. All in all, it’s one that you should strongly consider and one that is able to remove allergens from your home effectively.
6. Dyson V8 Absolute
Best Hepa Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
- Power: 100 watts
- Run Time: 40 mins
- Charge Time: 3.5 hours
- Weight: 2.5kg
- Dust Capacity: 0.6L
- Battery Voltage: 21.6v
- Noise: 72db
If you, or someone that you live with, suffer from asthma or allergies, you will want a vacuum cleaner that can tackle these issues effectively.
This model from leading brand Dyson could be everything you have been searching for and more, you can only find out by reading below
The Dyson V8 Absolute uses a hepa filter, like most other vacuum cleaners that the company produces. What is exciting about the V8 is that it also has a sealed filtration system.
It means that all the air that goes into the vacuum cleaner has to be passed through the filter first. So, it not only traps 99.9% of allergens and dust, but it also prevents anything from being pushed back into the air.
What this means for you is that the air is cleaner and more breathable, and as someone who lives with an asthma sufferer, I can confirm that this is one of the friendliest vacuum cleaners I have used in my home.
Additionally, you are graced with excellent suction and a brilliant running time, so you can ensure that your home is perfectly clean and free from allergens at all times.
The Not So Good
The dust canister is a little smaller than most standard vacuum cleaners, so it does fill up quite quickly.
This vacuum cleaner is a cordless wonder, and one that Dyson is very proud of. It’s brilliant for those who suffer from asthma and allergies, ensuring that there are no particles left in the air or pushed back out again.
While the dust canister is a little smaller and will require emptying on a more regular basis than a standard vacuum, this should be expected considering how lightweight and compact this model is.
It makes for a superb bagless vacuum cleaner that provides amazing suction, great cleaning results, and clearer air in your home.
Q: What’s the difference between the v8 animal and absolute?
A: The absolute comes with 3x powered heads including the fluffy hard floor head, large brush head and small brush head where the animal omits the fluffy head. Both units have the same motor and battery.
7. Dyson DC25 Multi Floor
Best Budget Hepa Vac for the Money
- Cleaner head is embedded with motorized brushes
- Extremely lightweight design (7 kilograms)
- Onboard motor capable of producing up to 1,200 watts of power
- Operational noise level – 87 decibels
- Bagless design will save money
- HEPA filtration system (hepa filter is washable)
- 5-Year manufacturer’s warranty (parts and labor)
- Debris canister is a little smaller than most models (1.4 liters) and requires frequent emptying
The Dyson DC25 is a very popular upright vacuum, because it offers superior suctioning power, with 100% pet hair removal.
Dyson is well-known for developing high-quality vacuum models that are designed to last and the DC25 is no different.
The vacuum’s unique construction not only draws attention but offers easy manoeuvrability, allowing users to glide around furniture and tight corners.
The Dyson DC25 is equipped with a telescopic wand for cleaning hard-to-reach, stairs, and behind and underneath furniture.
The Cyclone Technology, which was patented, by no other than Dyson offers continuous powerful suctioning, even under the most extreme duress.
Overall, the Dyson DC25 is a very powerful vacuum that is capable of tackling K-9 and feline hair with ease. It is very lightweight, so you can tote it up and down stairs without straining your back. Read our full review of Dyson DC25 here.
This model was also featured in our “What is the Best Vacuum Cleaner For 2020? – UK Review Guide.
8. Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach
Best Upright Hepa filter Vacuum cleaner
- HEPA Media Filter
- Weighs just 4.9kg
- TurboTool is perfect for eliminating pet hair from stairs and furniture
- Holds 1.5 litres of dust and debris
- Super lengthy hose
- Multi-cyclonic technology ensures powerful suctioning throughout use
- Incredibly energy efficient, with a rating of A
- Noise level of just 86
- Very affordable
- Suctioning power might be slightly too power
Those that want to eliminate their allergies, without wiping out their wallet, will definitely want to check out the Vax U90-MA-Re Air Reach.
This vacuum cleaner might be affordable, but it truly excels in filtration and performance. First and foremost, the unit is equipped with a highly effective multi-cyclonic technology.
This helps to keep the dirt separated from the air. In return, this will ensure you receive constantly powerful suctioning power.
At the same time, this vacuum is immensely lightweight. Even if you’re required to carry it upstairs, you won’t have any difficulty.
The vacuum has an energy efficiency rating of A and utilizes just 23.6-kilowatt-hours per year. To make matters even more appealing, the vacuum utilizes a hepa filter and is designed for pet hair.
The highly innovative antibacterial HEPA media filter is capable of eliminating and preventing the growth of bacteria, pet odors and allergens. Additional pros can be found below.
All in all, the Vax U90-MA-Re-Air Reach is a great vacuum for allergy sufferers and pet owners. It is affordable, lightweight, easy to use, and will certainly eliminate allergens from your home.
Read our detailed review of the Vax U90-Ma-Re-Air Reach Upright Hoover here
What To Look For
You should always know what you are looking for before you decide on your next vacuum cleaner, and this is where this section comes in.
Before we move onto the vacuum features, we would like to take a moment to note that most of the models we have chosen for this guide are approved by Allergy UK and Asthma and Allergy Friendly.
- Budget – Before anything, you need to take the time to consider how much you can spend, as well as how much you are willing to spend. Once you have determined your budget things, become easier, and you can start to further explore your options and see which models are in your price range.
- Filtration – The most important thing to look for in this kind of vacuum cleaner is a hepa filter. This is because it has been specifically designed to eliminate allergens that could cause your asthma or allergies to start flaring up. Without this filter, you will only end up adding to your health issues instead of helping the problem.
- Pet Friendly – For those with pets, you will understand that the dander left behind with their fur can cause some serious reactions if it is not cleared up regularly. We love our pets, and we learn to live with these things, but a pet friendly vacuum cleaner can not only save you from reactions, but also clean up even the most stubborn pet hair that has been left behind.
- Bag – You will be able to choose between a bagged and bagless model of vacuum cleaner, and it is important that you make the best choice for your health. The bagged vacuums are actually much better for those with allergies and asthma because all of the dust and debris is sealed away tightly inside the bag. All you need to do is remove it and dispose of it. Bagless models tend to be much messier when you empty them, and the dust often ends up back in the air.
- Weight – As a more general point, the weight of the vacuum cleaner is often important to consider. If you are having a bad day and want to do a quick clean to remove allergens, you don’t want to be lugging a heavy machine around. Something that is lightweight and easy to handle should be at the top of your list.
- The Vacuum’s Power – Power is everything, especially when it comes to vacuum cleaners. Of course, you should always have a vacuum that is able to provide excellent suctions, but when you are suffering from allergies and asthma, this is needed even more. It ensures everything is picked up from the deepest reaches of your floor so that you can breathe easier.
- Warranty – You would be surprised by how useful a warranty can be, and it is always a good idea to get a standard or extended one when you buy so that you are covered for the unexpected. Always make sure the warranty covers parts and labour so that you aren’t met with surprise bills.
Now that you know more about what to look for in your next vacuum cleaner, carry on reading below and have a look at the HEPA vacuum reviews below.
You may also like: Best Vacuum Cleaner for Pet Hair
Hopefully, this guide has helped you to better understand how HEPA vacuums work and how they are able to benefit your asthma or allergies. You may even have found the best HEPA vacuum for you to use in your home, and we hope that is the case.
We have gathered a brilliant selection of trusted brands and models for you to choose from, so we know that you will find the perfect one for you here.
Plus, we have ensured that we included a range of different prices so that every budget can find something that is going to work for them. After all, your health is key, and a hepa vacuums can help you to achieve better quality air.
What did you think of our hepa vacuums review? Were you happy with the selection or are there models that you would have added? We love hearing from you, so make sure you leave us a message in the comments below.
Last Updated on November 22, 2021 by Gemma Tyler