Last Updated on
Every carpet is going to get grimy at some point, I guarantee it. You might think your carpets are fine because they still look white and you vacuum them every day, but I can assure you that the second you plug that carpet cleaner in and get started you will be in for a surprise.
As a pet owner, I keep my house exceptionally clean, and vacuum regularly to remove all the fur and debris. Like many others, I did not think I needed a carpet cleaner. That is, until I tried one out.
They are amazing for removing even the most embedded dirt and grime that you didn’t even know was there. A portable carpet cleaner is your best bet, as these are easy to store away but can also be used on carpets – which are the biggest dirt traps of all, in my opinion.
In this guide, we take a look at the best handheld carpet cleaners, as well as collect the relevant handheld carpet cleaner reviews. Don’t worry, you don’t have to go alone – take this guide and set out to find the best carpet cleaner you can.
What To Look For
Picking a carpet cleaner is no easy task, but we have put together a little list of some of the key features you should consider before you pick one up. Take a moment to read through them so that you can check each of the models you want for these key features.
- Budget – The first, and arguably most important, thing you need to do is take a moment to think about these two questions; how much are you willing to spend, and how much can you afford? Once you know the answer, choosing your carpet cleaner will be much easier as you will know how much you can afford.
- Ease of Use - Not all of us have time for fiddly carpet cleaners, I know I don’t, and so you should always check to see how easy it is to use. The instructions should be easy to follow, and it shouldn’t have more buttons than you have fingers. Pick a simple machine that won’t leave you throwing it against the way.
- Floor Type - This is a pretty important feature, and you need to make sure you know what kind of carpet you have before you go any further. Shag pile carpets and rotting brush models do not go well together, for example, and in cases like this, you should be looking at a Rug Doctor instead.
- Weight – This is more of a general point, but it does correlate strongly with portable carpet cleaners as you want one that is not too heavy, and also portable, so you can carry it around the house and use it on the stairs without straining your arms or back. Even be able to take it outside to clean those muddy carpets in your car. It makes the cleaning process a nicer and easier one to go through.
- Warranty – You would be surprised by how useful a warranty can be, and it is always a good idea to get a standard or extended one when you buy so that you are covered for the unexpected. Always make sure the warranty covers parts and labour so that you aren’t met with surprise bills.
Now that you know more about what to look for in your next carpet cleaner, carry on reading below and have a look at the handheld carpet cleaner reviews below.
BISSELL Spot Clean Pro
BISSELL is a big name that has a lot to offer, and it is one of the best brands for home appliances and cleaning tools, so you know you are in for something good.
Perfect for those who need something portable for cleaning the carpet, take a look below and see if this is going to be the one for you.
The feature that I enjoyed was the spot cleaning, as it was able to remove even the toughest stains in my carpet with ease and professional results.
The water tank is large, and removable, which makes it easy to empty and refill, and it comes with two tools so that you can remove stains and clean the upholstery. It will even clean inside your car, so everything you own can remain clean at all times.
The Not So Good
This model is better suited to small areas as opposed to larger ones due to its small and compact size.
- Power: 260 watts
- Run Time: N/A
- Charge Time: N/A
- Weight: 6kg
- Water Capacity: 2.8L
- Battery Voltage: 220v
- Noise: 72db
This carpet cleaner from BISSELL comes at a very reasonable price that makes it a great choice for just about anyone who is in need of something to get their carpets looking brand new again.
While it is a smaller model and so better suited to smaller areas, it can be used on large ones if you are willing to put in a little extra time. Overall, it provides a powerful clean that makes it perfect for homes with pets or kids, and the stain remover does a very professional job.
Q: Can you use any carpet cleaner in a Bissell?
A: Fortunately, you can even use it in a Bissell carpet cleaner.
Q: Can I use bleach in my Bissell carpet cleaner?
A: Yes, but if you do decide to give it a try, first make sure it is safe for your carpet (you can't bleach wool). Dilute the bleach with water before adding it to the machine (never use bleach full strength!)
Read More : How to Get Rid of Wet Carpet Odour
We hope that you have found this guide to the best handheld carpet cleaner useful, and that it has shown you the next model for your home. From top brands to those that are lesser known, we have a little bit of everything here so that you can go with someone you trust, or try out something new.
There are loads of great features on each of these carpet cleaners too, with superb attachments as well as functions that really put a little bit of wow into the overall cleaning power.
Of course, we have not forgotten that everyone has a different budget either, and we know that you will find something here that slides in nicely without leaving you flat broke.
What did you think of our handheld carpet cleaner guide? Were you happy with the selection or are there models that you would have added? We love hearing from you, so make sure you leave us a message in the comments below.
Gemma Tyler is a freelance journalist with 15 years of experience writing for consumer publications. She has tested and reviewed a wide range of household items from vacuum cleaners to washing machines and dehumidifiers to steam irons. Her attention to detail and exhaustive testing certainly makes her an expert in her field.